Policies, Procedures & Refunds
This page contains a listing of the policies and procedures for each program area. Topics include:
- ADA Accommodations
- Age Requirements for Participants
- Facility Use Policies
- Food Policy
- Inclement Weather Policy
- Locker Rooms/Equipment Usage
- Lost Articles
- Photo Release
- Refund Policies
- Resident Policy
- Schedule Changes and Cancellations
- Special Needs Pool Lift
- Supervision of Children
- Visitors in the Classroom
- Web Guide Distribution
RECREATION DEPARTMENT REFUND POLICY
The Mission of the Washington Township Recreation Center is to provide for and promote the general health, safety and welfare of Township residents and guests while they are participating in activities at the Recreation Center. As part of that Mission, it is understood that Recreation Center activity participants may have reasons that require them to cancel participation in a registered Recreation Center class or activity. This information sets forth the Township’s policy on refunds for cancelled classes or activities:
- Refunds will be put on a Household Account and patrons may request a refund check. Funds in Household Accounts can be used for payment of future registrations. No cash or credit card refunds are permitted.
- When a class is cancelled or closed by the Recreation Center due to low enrollment or other circumstances, registered participants will be notified and will receive a full refund.
- Registered participants will be given a 24 hour time limit after registering to cancel or transfer, if space permits, with no penalty and a full refund.
- Any cancellation or transfer made more than 24 hours after registration, but prior to the second class/event will be refunded as follows:
- For classes/events $70 and under, 50% of registration cost will be refunded.
- For classes/events over $70, the cost of the class/event less a $35 administrative fee will be refunded.
- If availability permits, transfers will be honored for a $10.00 fee.
- One-Day Program Refunds: The above refund policy applies if participation is cancelled prior to the day of the program. No refunds will be given if participation is cancelled on the day of the program or after.
- A $5.00 administrative fee will be charged to cover processing fees for approved medical refunds.
- No refunds will be given for classes when the participation level falls below the required minimum.
- No refunds will be given for tickets purchased for Town Hall Theatre productions.
- No refunds will be given for tickets purchased for Woodland Lights.
- Passes are non-refundable/non-transferable.
- For the Township policy on camp participation refunds, refer to the Camp Refund Policy on the Camp Registration Form.
ADULT SPORTS REFUND POLICY
The above policy applies with the following exceptions. Any cancellation or transfer after 24 hours, but prior to the first game will be refunded all money except for $35.00 per league. No refunds will be given after the first game has begun.
SWIM Class Refund POLICY
Make sure your child is in the correct skill level. Children will not be transferred into another class level unless their is an opening ($10 transfer fee applies). Children will only be permitted in class levels that correspond to their skill level at the present time. If children have not been in a class recently, their skill level could have declined. Have them checked out on Evaluation Day for correct class placement. If there are no openings in the class that the student should be in, there is only a 50% refund.
SUMMER CAMP REFUND POLICY
- No refunds will be given once the scheduled camp week has begun.
- Cancellations made within 24 hours of registration will be given 100% refund.
- Cancellation made between 24 hours after registration through and 12 pm of the Friday before the camp week in question has begun will be issued a 50% refund.
- Cancellations after 12 pm the Friday before the camp week in question begins will be issued no refund.
- All refunds will be placed on a household account.
- Patrons may request a refund check in writing.
RECING CREW REFUND POLICY
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
- Refunds will not be given for daily absences.
- A minimum 2 weeks notice is required for all requested changes such as: withdrawal from the program; changing from full time to part time; and changing days.
- Centerville School Closings - Patrons will get credit for the day for in-services (teacher and conferences), school approved national holidays, and weather closings.
Facility Use Policies & Procedures
Supervision of Children
Children under eight years of age must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older) in the gym, locker rooms, and in the pool. Parents are required to maintain supervision and discipline of their children at all times. All children 4 and under must have a paying adult (18 and older) dressed in a swim suit in the the water with the child at all times.
Open Swim Policies & Procedures
- For the safety and cleanliness of our facility, glass containers are not allowed in the pool area. No large food items (cakes, cupcakes, pizza, etc.) may be brought into the pool or bleacher area.
- Open Swim (See rules posted by each pool) -General open swim is for all ages. The diving board, waterslide, lap lanes and both pools will be open for use. Children must be eight years old to be left unattended during open swim. Supervision must be by an adult 18 years or older.
- For your child's safety! - Swimmers four (4) years and under MUST be accompanied by a paying adult 18 years and older dressed in a swim suit in the water at all times and a red band must be worn by any child 4yrs and under to identify them as underage.
- Any child of any age wearing a floatation device MUST be accompanied by a paying adult 18 years and older dressed in a swim suit in the water at all times.
- Non-potty trained children must swim diapers. Please change diapers in locker-room only, not in pool area.
- A child of an adult may swim in the same lap lane if lanes are not too busy. The child must be swimming laps in order to participate. This is at the discretion of the head guard.
- Proper swim attire is required at all times. No street clothes or gym shorts.
- Bathing suits must provide proper body coverage.
Adult Lap Swim & Water Walking Policies - 16 & older
- The lanes are open for lap swimming only. Diving board, Rec pool and waterslide are closed.
- Water Walking is available during open swim when both pools are open.
- Kickboards and pull buoys are for adult use only in lap lanes.
Miscellaneous Pool Information
- Pools may be closed for WTRC Sharks and Centerville High School Swim Meets. Closings are listed on the schedule.
- There are 15 minute breaks each hour on the hour during open swims.
- Pool may be closed at any time and for an unspecified length of time if a fecal accident or vomit occurs in the pool.
Kids Korner Policies
- Children can only be in the “Kid’s Korner” while their parent is using the Recreation Center facilities.
- No children will be accepted who are feverish, who have a runny nose that is not clear, who have deep coughs, or who are generally ill in appearance.
- All bags and personal belongings must be marked with your child’s name. Please remove all medications before leaving your bag.
- No snacks or food should be brought in with your child.
- Baby instructions should be written on the instruction sheet by your child’s name.
- Those adult participants enrolled in a class at Rec West or Town Hall may use the babysitting service here at the Rec Center, if Kid’s Korner hours coincide with class hours.
- Babysitting for Rec West and Town Hall Participants
- There is a limit of 35 children at one time in this room.
Indoor Track Policies and Etiquette - Ages 13 & older
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants must wear suitable sports clothing and gym shoes.
- Stretch and cool down in the designated area off the track.
- Pass to the outside. Slower runners or walkers stay to the inside - single file only.
- Enter and exit the track carefully. Avoid sudden stops.
- Throwing items or spitting from the track is prohibited. Violators will be asked to leave.
- This is not an observation area.
- Baby joggers, strollers, rollerblades, or skateboards are not permitted.
- Proper athletic running or walking shoes will only be permitted.
- Food and drinks are not permitted on the track.
- We reserve the right to shut down the track.
- Sprinting and Sprint drills are not permitted.
- Please be considerate of others and refrain from wearing perfume/cologne while exercising.
Fitness Center Policies and Etiquette - Ages 16 & older
- Participants must be 16 and older and have proof of age to use the Fitness Center.
- Underage users 14 & 15 years old must present doctor's permission, parental permission and complete a paid Fitness Center Orientation before being able to use the Fitness Center while accompanied by parent/guardian.
- Equipment orientation is available and encouraged for new patrons.
- Proper workout attire required (i.e., t-shirt, shorts, sweats, non-marking athletic footwear). NO JEANS OR STREET SHOES PERMITTED.
- Proper athletic running or walking shoes will only be permitted (Sandals and bare feet are not permitted).
- Please wipe down machines after use.
- Please put away weights after use.
- A 30-minute time limit is set for all cardio equipment.
- Please be considerate of others and refrain from wearing perfume/cologne while exercising.
- Private personal trainers are not permitted to use the Fitness Center to train clients for monetary gain. Only Recreation Department employees are permitted to train/teach patrons using the facility and its equipment.
Climbing Wall Policies
- Minimum age to climb is 7 years, minimum age to belay is 13 years.
- All climbers & belayers must be WTRC certified and present proof of certification prior to climbing.
- Maximum weight difference between climber and belayer is 30 lbs.
- Climbers must wear close toed, soft soled shoes (such as climbing shoes, tennis/running shoes, trail shoes, etc.). Sandals and cleats are not allowed. Socks must be worn with all WTRC rental shoes.
- Bouldering is allowed only at the Wall Supervisor's discretion. The climber's feet must remain below the bouldering line.
- Roped climbers have the right-of-way.
- Only WTRC provided ropes, belay devices, anchors and carabiners may be used. Other personal equipment must be approved prior to use.
- All equipment must be used according to manufacturer specifications.
- Climbing commands must be used at all times.
- Climbers must climb and descend in a safe manner. Speed climbing and dynamic moves that are beyond the ability of the belayer or are considered unsafe and are prohibited. Rapid lowering of climbers is also prohibited.
- Do not stand, sit or climb under a climber.
- Please remove all objects from pockets and jewelry before climbing.
- Climbers/Belayers who do not use proper protocol may be asked to repeat and complete the orientation process before being allowed to climb/belay. Belayers are required to stand while belaying.
- The climber's feet must remain below the bouldering line at all times.
- Use of a spotter is recommended.
- Do not boulder underneath or within reach of another climber.
- Roped climbers have the right of way.
Open Gym Policies & Procedures
- All participants must wear suitable sports clothing and gym shoes.
- All participants must be age appropriate for the time in which they are participating.
- We do not tolerate fighting, flagrant play or foul language. Any violation of the above rules may result in immediate dismissal from the recreation center and/or gym closing. The Recreation Center staff reserves the right to dismiss anyone at anytime. Dismissal from the Recreation Center will result in a two-week suspension, minimum.
- Suspension for fights or other severe physical comfrontations will result in a six month suspension, minimum.
- Food and Drinks are not permitted in the gym.
- Only non-marking tennis shoes are permitted in the gym.
- Open Gym schedule is subject to change without prior notice.
- There will be NO winners stay rule during adult monitored open gym.
- NO PHOTO ID, NO PLAY, NO EXCEPTIONS during adult monitored open gym.
- No spectators during adult monitored open gym. All person's in the gym must be participants age 18 and older.
Locker Room Policies
Patrons are strongly encouraged to bring a lock when using a locker. No locks are to be left on lockers overnight. Any locks left on for more than 24 hours will be cut off and contents put in lost and found. Children 6 years and older must use the gender appropriate area.
- Men: Open to boys and men.
- Women: Open to women ages 16 and older.
- Women and Children: Open to girls ages 15 years and younger, and women with small children.
- Unisex Changing Room: A place to change and dress children. This changing area is located in the pool/guard area.
Rec West Open Use Policies
- Be courteous and respectful of others. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated.
- Dress Code established by the Centerville City Schools will be utilized in this facility.
- No obscene gestures/language will be tolerated.
- No violence or physical confrontation will be tolerated.
- No public display of affection.
- No drugs, alcohol, smoking, or weapons allowed on Rec Center property.
- No rough housing (rough play) allowed.
- Food and drink in designated areas only.
- Do not damage the building or provided equipment.
- Children under 8 years of age must be accompanied by an adult/18 years or older.
Parking is allowed in marked spaces only. Please do not park along the curb in front of the building. This is a fire lane. Handicap spots are available, and our facility is wheelchair accessible. Violators will be ticketed.
Countryside Park Policies
The following rules shall be in effect for all people using the park:
- Park is open from dawn to dusk (except by permit).
- No alcoholic beverages allowed in the park.
- All pets must be on leashes.
- All pet droppings must be disposed of properly by the pet's keeper.
- No open fires without permit. Contact the Washington Township Fire Dept.
- No swimming in the ponds.
- No boating on the ponds without permit.
- Recreation Center programs have priority over all park space.
- The Recreation Center reserves the right to close the park for special events.
- All trash must be placed in receptacles.
- No cutting of trees or bushes allowed.
- No dumping is permitted.
- Vehicles are only allowed on designated driveways.
- Parking is allowed only in designated areas.
- Children under eight years of age must be supervised by an adult.
- Fishing is permitted with an Ohio Fishing License. License must be available for inspection at all times.
- Shelter use is by permit only for residents of Centerville/Washington Township only.
- Any activity deemed unsafe by staff shall be prohibited.
- Park rules are enforced by Recreation Center staff and the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.
- No removal of plants, animals or natural resources from the park is permitted without the written permission of the Recreation Director.
Whoever violates this Resolution shall be fined $50 for the first violation and $100 for the second and subsequent violations.
Weather & Schedule Changes
Schedule Changes and Cancellation
The Washington Township Recreation Center reserves the right to alter schedules, fees, and instructors as necessary. Classes are subject to cancellation when minimum enrollment has not been reached.
Inclement Weather Policy
- Information about closings and delays is at www.washingtontwp.org, www.whio.com and WHIO-TV Channel 7
- There will be no make-up class/programs for those canceled due to inclement weather.
Rec'ing Crew Policies
- Afternoon pickup from Centerville schools only.
- Pickup from school: 2:30 - 3:00 pm.
- Parent pickup from Rec Center by 6:15 pm.
- Late fees are assessed for pick ups after 6:15 pm.
- Parents will be billed. Payment is due prior to the specified date on the bill or services cannot be rendered.
- Registration after start of school year requires the registration fee and the current month's payment at time of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Full time participants needing transportation will be given priority over part time participants needing transportation.
- Rec'ing Crew does not operate on "Emergency School Closing" dates.
- Separate School Days Off activities are provided when Centerville Schools are closed due to teacher in-service days, Winter Holiday Break, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents Day and Spring Break.
- Check the School Days Off schedule at washingtontwp.org/youthcare for more information about these offerings.
- Drop off participation accepted on long term basis and subject to availability.
Middle School Dance Policies
- Students must check-in, and NO ONE is permitted to leave until the dance ends, or unless a parent comes in to pick up their child.
- Centerville School dress code and rules of conduct are enforced.
- No tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, any blouse/shirt showing the mid-drift, any pant-style showing any area below the waist, t-shirts referencing profane language/alcohol/drugs. Students dressed inappropriately will be asked to leave the dance and their parents called.
- No fighting, rough play, cursing, or disrespectful behavior.
- Photo I.D. is required at each dance. Acceptable I.D. includes current Recreation Center Resident Card, Recreation Center Pass, Ohio Identification Card, valid passport and other similar forms of identification. Parents may accompany students without proper identification at the time of admission to provide proof of residency.
- *NO RESIDENT CARDS ARE SOLD AT THE DANCE. Resident cards are sold during Recreation Center hours of operation. Parents must accompany their child to verify address when the card is purchased. No admittance after 8:30pm.
- Parents interested in volunteering as a dance chaperone may contact Rec West at 438-7985.
If you have questions about a facility or need special assistance, contact us at 433-0130.
Special Needs Pool Lift
A portable aquatic lift is available for both the small and large pools and is designed for independent use. Please schedule an orientation with the Aquatic Coordinator.
Age/Grade Requirements for Class Participation
All class participants must be the appropriate age/grade on the first day of class.
It is strongly recommended that patrons do not bring valuables to our facilities. Washington Township, its representatives, agents, and successors, are not responsible for the safekeeping of patrons' personal property.
Lost clothing and other items of nominal value are kept in a designated lost and found area at the Washington Township Recreation Center and disposed of on a quarterly basis. Items with an estimated value in excess of $100, electronics regardless of value, and personal items such as wallets, watches and purses, will be kept for 90 days and stored at the front desk area of the main recreation building. After 90 days these items will be auctioned on govdeals.com.
By participating in Washington Township programs, you agree to allow publication of any photos taken during any program, event or open facility time. If you do not wish to have your picture taken, please inform the photographer.
We are financed through property tax dollars. Therefore, to receive Resident Rates, you must reside in Centerville or Washington Township. To prove residency you must present identification such as a valid driver's license, facility pass, utility bill, tax record, or pay with a check, with address printed by the bank. Patrons (children or adults) who do not have identification at the time of the transaction, will be required to pay the Non-Resident rates.
Visitors in the Classroom
Because of space limitations and distractions to other participants, we ask that only registered participants remain in a classroom. Parents (in the case of non-parent participation classes) and siblings may wait in approved waiting areas. Exceptions may be made by the facility supervisor in the case of participants with disabilities, who may need additional assistance.