The Climbing Wall
The Washington Township Recreation Center Climbing Wall is 24 ft. high and 36 ft. wide, providing 7 ropes on which to climb. We have a variety of activity options that offer something for everyone.
Click Here for Climbing Wall Class Offerings
Click Here for Climbing Wall Policies/Procedures
Click Here for the Open Climb Schedule and Fees
Click Here for Wall Orientation Information and Fees
Click Here for the Climbing Wall Rental Waiver Form
Climbing Wall Options:
The climbing wall is open for all certified climbers throughout the week (see schedule). Each climber and belayer must be WTRC certified in order to use the wall during these times. If you aren't already certified see the Orientation section below to see what is involved. An instructor is always present to ensure the safety of climbers and provide assistance. When available, instructors can belay. Daily walk-in fees apply. No Orientations will be done during Wednesday evening Open Climbs.
For large and small groups that wish to have sole use of the climbing wall and want to maximize climbing time, wall rentals are a very affordable way to have a fun and unique experience. The climbing wall can be rented in half hour increments and does not require certification. An instructor is present during each rental to belay and ensure the safety of each climber. Contact us to reserve your rental today.
Group Rentals: $20/half hour for up to 10 climbers ($4/additional climber)
Fridays 6:00-7:30pm (Year Round)
Saturdays 11:00a-12:30pm (Year Round)
Saturdays 3:15-4:45pm (Fall/Winter/Spring)
Email Kathleen Washington or call 433-0130 to book your rental.
- WTRC orientation is required before climbing/belaying and is done on a first come first serve basis during open climb times (see schedule).
- Complete and submit an orientation form (located at the Rec Center Reception Desk) at time of payment. Climbers and belayers under 18 must have a signed parent/guardian permission.
- Competency in all of the following must be displayed (without assistance) in order to obtain and maintain climber/belayer certification:
- Correctly putting on the harness.
- Tying the figure 8, traceback and fisherman's knot. o Inspection of belayer/climber equipment.
- Use of proper wall commands.
- Climb and descend wall. (Required for climbing certification only.)
- Assemble belay devices. (Required for belay certification only.)
- Belay climber in a safe controlled manner including falls and descent. (Required for belay certification only.)
- Upon successful completion of the orientation, a Climb Only, Belay Only or Climb/Belay certification card will be issued for 3 years. After 3 years, re-certification will be required.
Complete Pass Holders - $8 Residents - $8 Non Residents - $10
- We strongly recommend that climbers bring a WTRC-certified belayer as climbing wall staff will not always be available to belay.
- Bring and present to the climbing wall staff your climbing card each time you climb along with a current Complete Pass, Active 90, Physical Express Card, or receipt showing payment from the Front Desk.
- Orientations have first priority during open climb times. Each orientation takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes to complete (times vary by individual).
- Persons taking the belay orientation must have an accompanying climber in order to demonstrate belay skills.
- Instruction classes and wall rentals are available.