Washington TownshipMontgomery County, Ohio

Public Works

Contact our Department

When is your large item trash pickup?

Several private trash haulers serve the Washington Township area. Almost all of them will make one large item pickup per year at no additional cost. They are listed in the Yellow Pages under Rubbish.

What type of work needs a permit?

Generally, most types of work done by a contractor within 12 feet of the edge of the roadway require a permit. The $10 fee covers the cost of inspections, which ensures that the work is completed to township standards. Remember that sprinkler systems, invisible fences and landscaping should be kept fifteen feet away from the street to minimize possible damages during road improvements or utility work.

My neighbor's sump pump discharges into my yard. What can I do about it?

No resident may directly or indirectly discharge the water from a swimming pool, sump pump, downspout or other similar source within ten (10) feet of the property line separating adjacent properties or street right of way. The Township encourages all property owners to connect their sump pumps to the storm sewer system when applicable and subject to approval by the Washington Township Public Works Department. Newer plats may have a drain underneath the curb which can be used for this purpose. Residents in slightly older neighborhoods may be able to connect to a nearby catch basin. In the case of chlorinated pool water, or similar treated water sources, EPA guidelines for decontamination shall be adhered.

Who picks up dead animals from my yard or from the street?

The Public Works Department will dispose of dead animals that are found on a Township road. Montgomery County and ODOT also pick up carcasses on their respective roads. If the animal is located in your yard, you may have to dispose of it in a plastic bag in your trash.

Who is responsible for standing water on my property?

The responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of drains, streams, ditches and watercourses, whether established County/Township ditches or not, rests entirely upon the land owners affected and benefited. It is not the obligation of the County/Township to maintain or improve the storm drainage facilities across any individual’s property for either agricultural purposes or development of suburban home sites. When an individual purchases property, the principal of “Caveat Emptor” or “let the buyer beware,” is the purchaser’s best guideline. Land ownership has many potential and real benefits, but also comes with certain liabilities. Storm drainage facilities fall under the liability category of property ownership. These storm drainage facilities cannot be closed, obstructed or altered in any way which would reduce the capacity for conveying storm water across private property. Any owner is liable for upstream property damage for failure to properly maintain storm drainage facilities across his own property.” -- Passage from Montgomery County Engineer pamphlet, “Responsibility and Procedure for Improvement and Maintenance of Drains, Ditches and Watercourses."

Why aren't your trucks plowing or salting certain roads during winter storms?

Many roads, including Alex-Bell, Social Row, Clyo, parts of Rahn, Whipp and Mad River, S.R. 725 and I-675 are plowed by Montgomery County or the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). Those jurisdictions have roads spread over a larger area and sometimes their response times can be delayed.