Public Works

Contact our Department

When is your large item trash pickup?

Please contact Washington Township's three Preferred Provider waste haulers to find out their policy on bulk pickup:

Preferred Providers

  • Waste Management - Check the web site  or call 866-909-44585.
  • Rumpke Waste Removal & Recycling - Check the web site or call 800-828-8171.
  • Republic Services - Check the web site or call 800-543-1339 (formerly Allied Waste Systems). 

What type of work needs a permit?

Generally, most types of work done by a contractor within 12 feet of the edge of the roadway require a permit. The $50 fee covers the cost of inspections, which ensures that the work is completed to township standards. Remember that sprinkler systems, invisible fences and landscaping should be kept fifteen feet away from the street to minimize possible damages during road improvements or utility work.

Our Right-of-Way Permits page explains how to obtain a permit.

My neighbor's sump pump discharges into my yard. What can I do about it?

No resident may directly or indirectly discharge the water from a swimming pool, sump pump, downspout or other similar source within ten (10) feet of the property line separating adjacent properties or street right of way. The Township encourages all property owners to connect their sump pumps to the storm sewer system when applicable and subject to approval by the Washington Township Public Works Department. Newer plats may have a drain underneath the curb which can be used for this purpose. Residents in slightly older neighborhoods may be able to connect to a nearby catch basin. In the case of chlorinated pool water, or similar treated water sources, EPA guidelines for decontamination shall be adhered.

Who picks up dead animals from my yard or from the street?

For removal of animals on a roadway, the answer depends upon which jurisdiction is responsible for maintaining the road.

  • Township Roads - Call our Public Works Department at 937-433-0152 to have the carcass removed.
  • Montgomery County Roads - Call 937-837-2528
  • State Roads - Call ODOT at 937-492-1141

Our Street Maintenance page provides information about which streets are maintained by the township, county and state. 

If the animal is located in your yard, you may have to dispose of it in a plastic bag in your trash.

Who is responsible for standing water on my property?

The responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of drains, streams, ditches and watercourses, whether established County/Township ditches or not, rests entirely upon the land owners affected and benefited. It is not the obligation of the County/Township to maintain or improve the storm drainage facilities across any individual’s property for either agricultural purposes or development of suburban home sites. When an individual purchases property, the principal of “Caveat Emptor” or “let the buyer beware,” is the purchaser’s best guideline. Land ownership has many potential and real benefits, but also comes with certain liabilities. Storm drainage facilities fall under the liability category of property ownership. These storm drainage facilities cannot be closed, obstructed or altered in any way which would reduce the capacity for conveying storm water across private property. Any owner is liable for upstream property damage for failure to properly maintain storm drainage facilities across his own property.” -- Passage from Montgomery County Engineer pamphlet, “Responsibility and Procedure for Improvement and Maintenance of Drains, Ditches and Watercourses."

Why aren't your trucks plowing or salting certain roads during winter storms?

Some roads in Washington Township are either state or county roads, and not maintained by our Public Works Department. They include:

County Roads

  • Alex-Bell Road
  • Austin Pike
  • Clyo Road (South of Franklin)
  • Mad River Rd
  • Paragon Road(from 725 to Spring Valley)
  • Rahn Road (from Mad River to 48)
  • Social Row Road
  • Spring Valley Pike (east of 48)
  • West Whipp Road
  • Yankee Street

State Roads

  • State Route 48
  • I-675 and ramps
  • State Route 725

Montgomery County and Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) roads are spread over a large area and sometimes response times can be delayed.

Neighboring Jurisdiction

Some roads run through both Washington Township and Centerville, so are maintained by either the township or the city, depending upon the location. The city maintains:

  • Clyo Road (north of Franklin)
  • East Whipp Road
  • State Route 48 (within city limits)