Prevention & Safety

Contact our Department

  • Fire Department 8320 McEwen Road 
  • Dayton, Ohio 45458 
  • Administration: (937) 433-3083 
  • Non-emergency: (937) 225-4357 

Prevention is Key to Staying Safe

The best way to stay safe is to prevent accidents from happening in the first place. The Washington Township Fire Department has numerous resources to keep you and your family stay safe.

Address Locator Signs

Address Locator Signs

To more quickly locate your home in an emergency, our fire department offers a reflective sign that clearly displays your street address. We'll even install it for you if you like! The 6"x18" signs can be installed easily on a mailbox post and will allow your street address to be prominently display on both sides. Our mail-in form explains more, including fees and best practices for installation.

Gas & Charcoal Burners

Gas & Charcoal Burners

Residential complexes suffer severe damage or loss every year from fires that begin when a grill is operated on a balcony. About 6,500 grill fires take place each year, resulting in almost $27 million in fire loss, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.

For that reason, Ohio Fire Code prohibits operation of a charcoal burner, or any other open-flame cooking device, on combustible decks and balconies. The devices also can not be used within 10 feet of other combustible construction such as a wall, overhang, patio fence, railing, or the deck above your own deck or patio.

The restriction applies to multi-family structures larger than a duplex and does not prevent the use of cooking devices on the decks of single-family and two-family dwellings. Cooking devices using propane fuel are subject to the same regulations if the fuel container is larger than one-pound. The typical gas grill uses a liquid propane gas container with a capacity of about 20 pounds.

Knox Box Rapid Entry System

What is a Knox Box?

The Knox Box Rapid Entry System is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and fire departments. When a fire breaks out or there is an emergency, the Knox Box Rapid Entry System allows firefighters and paramedics immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. Knox Boxes can be placed on a home or business.
for business 
Knox Box for Business
for home

Knox Box for home

How do I order one?

For a residential Knox Box visit and select your local fire department: Washington Township Fire Department, Centerville.  Select the Knox Home Box and add to cart. Fill out installation address and purchase. The approximate cost is $187. Once purchased, contact the Washington Township Fire Department at 937-433-3083 to schedule to have your keys locked in the box and to answer any questions you might have.. 

The Knox Box should be installed at the front entrance of a structure. Anytime the door locks are changed or re-keyed, the property owner should notify the Washington Township Fire Department to place a new key in the box. 

For a commercial Knox Box, visit and follow the above instructions. The cost varies depending on the selection of the Knox Box. 

Project Lifesaver

What is Project Lifesaver?

Project Lifesaver is an active locating system that relies on state-of-the-art technology and a specially trained search and rescue team. Clients who enroll in the Project Lifesaver program wear acouple walking personalized bracelet that emits a tracking signal. When the caregivers notify the local Project Lifesaver agency that the client is missing, a search and rescue team responds to the last place the client was seen and start searching with the mobile locator tracking system. Search times have been reduced from hours and days to minutes. Recovery times averaged less than 30 minutes in over 1900 searches. Project Lifesaver is about people and partnerships. The focus is on individual communities where law enforcement, fire departments, civic groups, local businesses and caregivers join in developing and strengthening all aspects of the program: rescues, training, education, and fund-raising. 

Why do we need Project Lifesaver?

The task of searching for wandering or lost individuals with Alzheimer's, Autism, Down Syndrome, dementia or other cognitive conditions is a growing and serious responsibility. Without effective procedures and equipment, searches can involve multiple agencies, hundreds of searchers, countless man hours and thousands of dollars. More importantly, because time is of the essence, every minute lost increases the risk of a tragic outcome. Locating the individual is only part of the mission. Members of the Project Lifesaver Search Team are specially trained, not only in the use of electronic tracking equipment, but also especially in the methods to communicate with the person who has Alzheimer's or other related cognitive conditions. The person who is located may be disoriented, anxious, and untrusting. The Project Lifesaver Team knows how to approach the person, gain trust and put the individual at ease for the trip home. 

The Project Lifesaver bracelet is much more than just a passive I.D. bracelet. It is a battery-operated radio wrist transmitter emitting an automatic tracking signal, 24 hours a day. The signal can be tracked on the ground or in the air over severalbracelt miles. Each bracelet has a unique frequency so that the Project Lifesaver team can positively locate and identify the person who has wandered away from her/his home.

What does Project Lifesaver cost?

Project Lifesaver has a monthly maintenance fee of $10. This covers the cost of the battery and the wrist band which are changed every 30 days. 

For more information or to register for the Project Lifesaver Program, please contact Fire Headquarters at (937) 433-3083.

RapidSOS Ready

RapidSOS Ready

911 relies on your ability to clearly articulate critical information such as pre-existing health information in an emergency. Together, with public safety and organizations certified as RapidSOS Ready, RapidSOS has created the world's first emergency response data platform that securely links life-saving data from connected devices or profiles to 911 and first responders in an emergency. 

Now individuals can be RapidSOS Ready by creating an Emergency Health Profile, providing first responders with the critical information they need to care for you in a medical emergency. During these uncertain times, taking this important step can help provide the peace of mind of knowing that in an emergency, you and your loved ones have the most effective response possible. 

Find a list of frequently asked questions and create your profile here

Recreational Fires

Recreational Fires

Every year, residential homes suffer damage or loss from fires and/or smoke that begin with an open burn, recreational fire, or during the use of a portable outdoor fireplace.  Regulations governing the operation of "Open burning, recreational fires and portable out fireplaces", are presented in the 2017 Ohio Fire Code.

Please keep in mind, open burning is not allowed during air pollution warnings, advisories, or alerts or during burn bans.

Irresponsible burning endangers the safety and welfare of the public. If the fire is found to be unattended or irresponsible, it must be extinguished.

Avoid starting a fire during a strong wind or dry period and follow the Ohio Fire Code (2017 ed) which dictates that recreational fires must be:

  • No larger than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height
  • Supervised at all times by someone 18 years or older
  • Made with only clean, dry wood. (No trash or yard waste)
  • Located at least 25 feet from any structure or combustible material, including wood or vinyl fences
  • Contained within a pit, fire ring or commercial fire pit
  • Safeguarded with a means of extinguishing the fire, such as a fire extinguisher or garden hose

Use only fireplace matches or propane lighter to start the fire. Extinguish all hot coals when finished with a water hose or bucket of water and then leave the hot materials alone at least 24 hours. Do not bag or dispose of the ash or coals in a garbage container until you know they are thoroughly extinguished. Contact the Community Risk Reduction Division if you have any questions concerning open burning.

Please be careful with open burning within Centerville and Washington Township.

Smoke Alarms
Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms are more effective – and more complicated – than they used to be.

For instance, they may be battery powered or hard-wired with a battery backup, stand alone or connected to each other. They may use photoelectric or ionization technology, or both. Maintenance and replacement needs can vary, too.

smoke alarm reminder

brochure from the Southwest Ohio Fire Safety Council can help consumers navigate the selection, installation and maintenance of smoke alarms. Smoke alarms should placed, at a minimum, on every floor level, inside every sleeping room, and outside of every sleeping area. Choose smoke detectors that are wired and interconnected, or batter-powered units that communicate with each other so that when one detector alarms, they will sound throughout your home.

Experts recommend that home smoke alarms are checked monthly, batteries replaced every six months, and smoke alarms be replaced every ten years. Dust should be vacuumed from them on an annual basis.

Vial of Life

4 Steps to Faster Medical Care

During emergencies, patient information is often difficult to obtain. You can help crews respond effectively to a medical emergency in your household by making sure your address is clearly displayed and by following these Vial of Life instructions.

Follow these steps to help emergency personnel respond most effectively to medical emergencies at your home.

1. Fill out the Vial of Life form

    Vial of Life
  • Fill out the vial form located on this web page. Answer all pertinent questions.
  • Update the information every 3 months or whenever your medical history or medications change.
  • The form can be saved and stored on your computer so that information is easily updated.
  • All information is confidential. We will never disclose or share your healthcare information to those not directly involved in your medical care at our time of service.

2. Place the decal on front of a plastic baggie

  • Place the completed form in a plastic baggie.
  • Consider placing the following other items in the baggie:
  • Photo of yourself (assures proper identification, if you are home alone)
  • A copy of your Do Not Resuscitate Orders (DNR) and/or Living Will Declaration
  • A copy of your Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare

3. Place the baggie on your refrigerator door

  • Securely tape the plastic baggie to the front of your refrigerator door.
  • Place a decal on the side of your refrigerator or on the front door where anyone responding to an emergency can easy see it.

4. Place the second decal on your front door

Place the decal on the front door (storm door, if possible) so it can easily be seen by anyone responding to an emergency.

Do You Need Assistance with Vial of Life?

Seniors and at-risk residents can receive help through our STAR Program.